The Q&A Archives: Sunlight for Perennials

Question: Over the last three years I have been trying to establish a perennial bed in my back yard. It's doing great. I have planted mostly things that need sun to part shade, as my neighbor had a large silver maple that blocked the sun after 2:00. Well, this weekend he cut down the maple. My yard is drenched in sunlight from morning to sunset. My question is this: Shoud I be worried? Will my plants survive the sun? Is there anything I can do?

Answer: You may see some changes in your plants as they adjust to a sunnier spot, especially those that prefer partial sunshine. If they fail to adjust over the next few weeks you may want to move them to a spot more protected from full afternoon sunshine. You can replace them with sun-lovers as the need arises. Plants are relatively adaptable, though. The most intense sunshine is from noon until 3; something your plants were already tolerating. An additional 3-4 hours of sunshine might not make any difference to them. Let's hope not!