The Q&A Archives: Magnolia tree

Question: our tree seems to not be having any new groth - the outer end of the branches have leaves but nothing new - it get plenty of watter but it does get well water as well

Answer: Merve,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Magnolias go through periods of new growth followed by periods where they seem to be just there with no new shoots. As long as the tree appears healthy I would not worry about it. A light application of lawn fertilizer would be fine and may help initiate a little new vigor. Apply about a cup per 50 square feet of soil surface area beneath and just beyond the plant's foliage canopy.