The Q&A Archives: shopping for a tree

Question: I am looking a for a tree known as Blue Sapphire Dragon, I do not know the technical name, it blooms with blue flowers I believe, the leaves are very large when not blooming, I need more info on this if you have any. thanks

Answer: This would be a type of Paulownia, a fast growing tree that is most often grown commercially (for pulp) rather than as an ornamental tree. It is brittle and weak wooded, so it is not really suited to being a long term landscape tree.

If you are looking for a tree to plant in the landscape, you might want to consult with your local county extension or professionally trained nurseryman to analyze the growing conditions where you want to put the tree and then based on that, select one that is well suited both to the site and to your design goals.

If you are unable to locate these trees locally, you might try mail order. In a quick google search I located some sources. Please note I have no experience dealing with these suppliers so I can't personally recommend them.

I hope this answers your question.