The Q&A Archives: Suggestions for Planter Box

Question: I have a planter box on the west side of my house. What plants do you suggest? The box is 23 feet long and 3 1/2 feet deep. There are 2 basement windows I don't want to block, they are 16 inches off the ground and spaced apart. The other spaces can have taller plantings. Any ideas?

Answer: In such a sunny area you might want to plant a few dwarf evergreens; boxwood, juniper, heather, nandina, etc. and then plant annuals and perennials for splashes of color during the spring, summer and fall seasons. Here are a few ideas:
For mid-summer color:
Supertunias ? red
Dusty Miller ? silver
Ivy Geraniums ? red
Vinca Vine ? green & white
Scaveola ? blue

Toward the back side of the box, plant the red Supertunias. Alternate the Red Ivy Geraniums and Blue Scaveola directly in front of the Supertunias. Plant the Vinca Vine along the front edge of the box. Lastly, plant the Dusty Miller along the back edge of the box.

For part sun areas of your planter box, try these:
Osteospermum ? Lemon Symphony
Verbena ? Tukana White
Torenia ? Summer Wave Blue
Lysimachia ? Creeping Jenny ?Goldilocks?

In the front 2/3 of the box, alternate the Lemon Symphony and Verbena, then placing the Torenia slightly in front and between them. Plant the trailing Goldilocks along the front edge of the box. Place a few Dracaena Spikes along the back of the box for added height.

You might also plant roses - minature or hybrid teas.

Hope these ideas are helpful!