The Q&A Archives: my hydranga

Question: I purchased a everlasting hydranga early in the spring. It looked beautiful and was doing fine. We have watered it faithfully. But it always looks terrible. It appears to be dying. The leave are brown and the blooms are small with little color. Is it ok for this region? How can we help it? I am about ready to take it out and get rid of it. Thank you, Camelia Hubbs

Answer: Hydrangea macrophylla grows best in morning sun and afternoon shade. These plants like rich, moist, slightly acidic soils. Your plant sounds as though it is struggling to establish itself in your garden. I wonder if the drainage is okay for your plant? If you're watering regularly (one deep soaking each week), and it is protected from hot afternoon sunshine, the only other problem might be that the roots are suffocating from either too much water or from poorly draining soil. If you think that is a possibility, by all means dig the plant, amend the soil to facilitate better drainage, then replant. Your hydrangea should perk right up after this treatment. Hope so!