The Q&A Archives: Japanese Knotweed help????

Question: Are there any environmental friendly / animal friendly ways to get rid of this overwhelming weed???? I have cut, dug, chopped, pulled, yanked etc these weeds and still they come back! i have alot of animals (i am on wet lands) that eat other plants etc and i don't want to use any type of chemical/poison to control it. Any ideas???

Answer: I wish there were an easy answer. Knotweed has been successfully controlled by hoeing, digging, grazing goats and timely applications of herbicides. But, there's no specific control measure; you may have to resort to all of the above. Just so you know what you're up against, here's a publication from University of California that will explain the growth habits and control of this terrible weed:

Best wishes with your project!