The Q&A Archives: Rose Bushes

Question: What special care will my Joseph's Coat climbing rose need this spring?

Answer: In general, climbing roses should be pruned very little the first several years of growth--except to remove diseased, dead or spindly wood. As the vines mature more wood must be removed if the plants are to remain within bounds! Main canes or strong laterals growing forth should be shaped into place with their tips pointed downward to ensure that sap flows all the way out to the tips. The blossoms come from side shoots growing from the canes and laterals. Some folks advocate cutting these laterals back to a stub, others say leave about 3 inches.<br><br>Last, and very important for any roses, I would advocate a layer of compost or aged manure, mulch, and water! Lots of each!