The Q&A Archives: Why are my tomato plants' leaves falling off?

Question: I planted about 20 tomato plants in several different varieties. Everything was going very well with them and they all looked healthy. Then several plants had leaves near the bottom turn yellow with some brown, so I pulled those leaves off. More leaves turned, but not nearly all of them. Now several of my plants look as though they've lost their leaves. The tomatoes on these plants look healthy, but I don't understand why they've lost their leaves, or if there is anything I can do to help them. Thank you for your help!

Answer: Liza,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

When lower leaves on a tomato turn yellow and then brown it is usually due to a root problem or a leaf disease. Root problems include droughty conditions and soil fungal wilts. Leaf diseases like early blight can also have the same effect and can be remedied with fungicide sprays of mancozeb or maneb.