The Q&A Archives: Veggies

Question: My tomato and ququmber plants are growing ang blooming a great deal, however, as soon as the blooms appear on the tomatoes they fall off, and once the cucumbers get about 1 inch long they turn yellow and wither away. Could you please tell me what I can do to fix these problems. Thank you, alisa

Answer: Alisa,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Warm night temperatures cause tomatoes to stop setting bloom. The cherry types are not as affected by this as are the slicer type varieties. When cucumbers do like you described it is usually due to a lack of pollination. Bees are the principal pollinators and during cloudy, rainy or windy weather they tend to not be out pollinating much. Also if you spray an insecticide bees can be killed and then your cucumbers lack pollination. You can hand pollinate the cucumbers with an artist's brush by transferring pollen from male blooms to female blooms.