The Q&A Archives: Tomatoe Problem

Question: I have 2 sets of tomatoes, one that I planted in the ground and the other in containers. With the tomatoes in the ground, some of them have a black bottom to them, what can I do to get rid of this problem? I water regularly and feed so I dont know whats causing the problem.

Answer: It sounds like you are describing blossom end rot which occurs at the end of the tomatoes (and peppers) opposite the stem. While it is attributed to calcium deficiency in the soil, it often appears in cases of fluctuating soil moisture levels. Remedies include adding organic matter to the soil to increase its moisture holding capacity, keeping the plants evenly moist, using a mulch, and in some cases spraying plants with a blossom end rot spray (contains calcium) which can usually be purchased from your local garden center. Usually, more attention to keeping the soil evenly moist will solve the problem. You might want to dig down into the soil a bit and see how effective your watering actually is.

Best wishes with your tomato plants!