The Q&A Archives: garden soil

Question: how can I make my garden soil richer, its been awhile since anything has been added to the soil

Answer: You can build healthy garden soil by adding organic matter. It will take a few years, but you'll end up with rich garden loam. Either spring or fall are good times to begin improving your soil because summertime is generally when the garden is in use. Start by spreading 4-5" of organic matter such as compost, aged-manure, peat moss, shredded leaves, etc. over the top of the bed and digging it in to a depth of 8-10". Level the soil and either plant, or simply cover the bare soil with an additional 2-3" of organic matter. This will help suppress weeds. When you're ready to plant in the springtime, dig the mulch into the soil and plant your plants, covering the bare soil with more organic mulch material. Repeat this process and in a few short years you'll have wonderfully rich garden soil.