The Q&A Archives: Rose plant turning yellow

Question: I have 5 rose plants that I planted about 2 months ago, 3 have bloomed with flowers, but the plants have some leaves turning yellow. What's the cause? Thanks a lot!

Answer: Amnerys,

Yellowing foliage is usually due to soil moisture extremes. Dry soil and soggy wet (poorly drained) soil conditions both damage roots and can result in similar symptoms on the top growth of plants. Dig down a few inches and see if the soil is moist or not and then water accordingly. If the growing location is low you may need to consider building up a raised planting beds in the future to facilitate drainage during rainy periods. For now give the plant a light dose of fertilizer and some time. It should pull out of it and resume normal growth soon.