The Q&A Archives: Germinating Annuals

Question: When is the best time to plant most annuals for early summer bloom if I start them in a unheated grenhouse? In Washington it rarely freezes past mid-January. I have a heated propagation box (6' x 2') that is covered with glass. I would like to plant Geraniums and to enjoy in June if possible. Last year they did not bloom until July or August. I would like to see something like this on your web page. Also, when do you know if the seed should be covered or light to germinate? Thank you very much. Jens Jensen Stanwood, WA

Answer: Most annuals need to be started 4-6 weeks before setting out. Before using your propagation box, place a minimum-maximum thermometer in it to find out how cold it gets. Plants like between 65-75 degrees F. Geraniums need to be started 8-10 weeks prior to setting out. They also are very susceptible to rot if there is poor air circulation or soggy soil. The seed should be covered..