The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer

Question: We live in Central Florida, our eggplant has been flowering for about 2 months (May and June). We have not seen anything that even resembles eggplant. I have seen that we need to put in Nitrogin 10-10-10 fertilizer. What kind would you suggest? I have also heard that we need to put down mulch. I water for an hour a day (drip system). I also have green peppers,red hot peppers, tomatos, watermelon, cucumbers within a 15' square area. Would I be able to use the same fertilizer for all the vegetables?

Answer: John,

You can use that fertilizer for all of those vegetables if you like. I am not sure why your eggplant are not fruiting. They don't generally have problems fruiting in warm weather. If the plants look fine I would just give them a little more time. You may want to contact your county extension office and see if they are aware of any local pests or diseases or other factors that would be causing the lack of fruitfulness in your area.