The Q&A Archives: desert lawn and garden growth

Question: Hello I live in the desert of southern California were it is windy and hot. Our summer temps reach between 100 and 115. My question is I have very dry soil because we only get about 2 inches of rain a year. How can I grow a good lawn and garden in these temps? If you can give me any ideas I would apreciate it thanks.

Answer: It is possible to grow a lovely garden and have a green lawn in your gardening region. It begins with amending your soil with organic matter to help the soil hold moisture and then mulching over the soil surface with additional organic mulch to help moderate soil temperatures, slow evaporation and suppress weeds. The Victorvalley Water District has put together an informational website, complete with plant lists and watering techniques to make your desert yard look terrific. Visit their site:

I think all your questions will be answered, and you'll come away with a plant list that is terrific.

Best wishes with your new landscape!