The Q&A Archives: Mild Winter Can I Start Early

Question: We have had such a mild winter here in zone 6 (bordering on 7), can I get started now and put anything outdoors? Peas, anything?

Answer: I wouldn't put anything out just yet. I know what you mean, I am in the same zone and it is tempting. Why last Friday, it was 70F, and I was walking about the yard looking at all the bulbs that have popped up, blooming iris, blooming Candytuft, newgrowth on the roses, Bradford Pear, Crabapple, etc. Now, as I look out my window...I see that it is snowing and there is about an inch of accumulation! Ever heard of Murphy's Law? You put plants out now and you are more or less taunting Mother Nature - she would surely be quick to exact revenge in the form of a blizzard, hard freeze or other gardening natural disaster! You're right, peas can go out early but I would shoot for mid to late March if I were you.