The Q&A Archives: Flower Boxes

Question: I am looking for suggestion on flower boxes. This was my first season doing flower boxes in the front of my house, I wanted ideas on what would be a good type or types of flower that would make them look full. I get equal sun and shade in the area that they are located. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Answer: The following plants grow in full sun to part shade and are perfect for containers and planter boxes:
Annual Flowers:

Ageratum, Alyssum, Begonia, Celosia, Coleus, Dianthus, Dusty Miller, Geranium, Impatiens, Lobelia, Marigold, Nasturtium, Pansy, Petunia, Salvia, Snapdragon, Verbena, Zinnia

Perennial Flowers:

Achillea (Yarrow), Aquilegia (Columbine), Candytuft, Chrysanthemum, Gaillardia Gypsophila, Lupine, Rudbeckia, Sedum, Shasta Daisy, Veronica

Exotic Foliage: (treat as annuals)

Banana, Cannas (variegated and red-leafed varieties), Alocasia Elephant Ears, White Bird of Paradise, Variegated Ficus, Lantana, Phygelius, Caladium, Hibiscus, Schefflera, Dracaena.

You'll find even more possibilities in the garden center of your local Home Depot store.

Best wishes with your planter boxes!