The Q&A Archives: Rabbits

Question: What can I do to keep the rabbits from eating almost everything in my yard? I've put up chicken wire around the bulk of things, but they dug under that. They have now moved on to eating my natal plum which in the past they never touched.

Answer: The rabbits sound desperate! Fencing is the best way to stop the critters from feeding on your plants and burying the chicken wire 3-4" into the ground and anchoring it is usually successful. Some gardeners report success using the repellent sprays labeled specifically for rabbits. Be sure to read the label and apply and reapply as directed. Another possibility would be to treat the plants with a pepper/wax spray, again be sure to follow the label directions. Here is some additional information about rabbits you may find interesting. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly. Good luck with your landscape!