The Q&A Archives: Subhirtella Weeping Cherry

Question: I bought this at your store and I have a small yard. I did a lot of internet research and am confused. Is this a

Answer: Let's see if we can shed some light on the subject. All weeping cherry trees are grafted; their ultimate size depends upon whether they are grafted onto standard stock or dwarfing stock. Prunus subhirtella is a loose-branching bushy tree with a flattened crown and will reach 25-30' high and wide. No amount of pruning will keep it as small as 10-12'. If you try to keep it smaller than its normal mature size, it will grow out of proportion and it will be sickly because of all the pruning. If you want a small tree, Prunus subhirtella "Pendula", the weeping higan cherry, grows only 10-12' high and wide at maturity. It is the smallest weeping cherry available. It is generally sold as a 5-6' tall tree but it will eventually mature into a 10-12' tall tree.

I would replace the standard tree you have with a smaller 'Pendula', or I would move the current tree farther away from the foundation; move it another 20'.

Hope this answers all your questions!