The Q&A Archives: Eco-Friendly Slug Control?

Question: Hi,

I was wondering if you could suggest a non-poisonous way to keep the slugs from eating holes in all my plants. I live in Western Washington, and the slug problem is larger than anywhere I've ever lived, but I don't want to endanger the other wildlife inhabiting my yard.

Thank you!

Answer: The most eco-friendly way to control slugs is with traps. You can submerge a terra cotta pot in water to saturate it then set it upside down in the garden, propping it up about an inch with a stick or stone. Slugs and snails will crawl in overnight and you can scrape them out in the morning and replace the trap. Or, you can use Sluggo which contains iron phosphate and can be used around pets and wildlife. This product is labeled for use in vegetable gardens up until harvest and remains effective after rain or sprinkling. Sluggo is an organic granular product that breaks down into fertilizer.