The Q&A Archives: Bugs and woodpeckers on my tree

Question: I have a weeping willow tree on my property and it is being ruined by woodpeckers. A friend said the woodpeckers are eating the bugs that are in the tree what can i do?

Answer: Woodpeckers normally would not peck into healthy wood. If they are pecking constantly at the tree they are probably following after insects. Weeping willows are subject to a variety of potential pests as well as diseases that can cause damage and thus create dead wood that welcomes wood dwelling insects. I would suggest you work with your Cornell county extension and/or a professionally trained and ISA certified arborist to determine what is happening to your tree and if it can be treated or saved, or if there is extensive damage that would make removal the safer option.