The Q&A Archives: How do I get my Oak and Crepe Murtle trees to grow faster.

Question: Two years ago I planted well established Oak and Crepe Murtle trees and they just don't seem to be growing. Is there a fertalizer I can give them to help them to develope into larger trees? Thanks

Answer: Ruth,

I would fertilize them in early March and again in late April, early June and late July. Each time apply about a cup of a fertilizer (with a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio of nutrients) per inch of trunk diameter (measure diameter about 3' off of the ground). Spread this beneath the branchspread of the tree and about 1/3 past the outer branchspread. Water it in well. Mulch the tree in as wide an area as is practical to reduce competition. Water it during the growing season with a good soaking every week or two when it does not rain, allowing it to dry out a bit between waterings.