The Q&A Archives: What to use on eaten leaves?

Question: Hi!
I have discovered that leaves on several perennials are being eaten and they look very holy. I don't see bugs but perhaps there are aphids. What should I use to help these plants?
Thank you.

Answer: Aphids feed by sucking the fluids out the the plant tissues so if you're seeing holes in the leaves, the culprit is not aphids, but more likely beetles or caterpillars. It's difficult for me to recommend a control without knowing what exactly is nibbling on your plants. It could be that the critters have already left the garden. Try checking the plants, especially the undersides of the leaves at different times of the day and night to catch the critters in the act. Once you find insects, capture a few in a plastic bag and take them to your local garden center for identification. Helpful staff there will be able to recommend specific controls for the pest.

Best wishes with your garden!