The Q&A Archives: Rust edged bloom on roses and several other plants

Question: My white roses are blooming with rust on the edges..I thought the frost caused it, originally--but later bloom show this edging of

Answer: This could be due to an environmental problem such as high humidity or overhead watering, to an insect problem such as thrips, or to a disease problem such as botrytis, or even to a soil problem such as excess salts buildup -- possibly due to overfertilizing or sometimes a lack of calcium in the soil. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension to obtain a more specific diagnosis and based on knowing that, decide how to proceed. If a chemical control is needed, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to use it for maximum results.