The Q&A Archives: squirrel problem

Question: I have lot of squirrels which spoil my vegetables, fruits and walnuts. I would like to know how to get rid of them. Please advise a method which is non-violent.

Answer: Fencing individual plants is one way to discourage the pesky critters. In the vegetable garden, I've had some success with bloodmeal sprinkled on the soil surface, the smell of which squirrels seem to shun. Hot pepper sprays work reasonably well too, and as a bonus they deter most insect pests. There's a product called "Squirrel Away" that is sometimes successful, as well. But, the only permanent solution is to trap the critters and release them elsewhere. Your local Cooperative Extension office can provide details on trapping squirrels.