The Q&A Archives: when to repot tomatos

Question: Do tomatos need to be replanted from a one gallon container? I bought 6

Answer: Celebrity is a compact plant so it's well suited to container growing, but a one-gallon container seems a bit small to me. I think your plants will be better off in a 3 or 5 gallon container. Replant them now, taking care not to disturb the roots too much. Start by moistening some potting soil and putting it in the new container, then setting the one-gallon container on top and filling in around the sides with more potting soil. Then lift the one-gallon container up and you'll have the perfect sized hole for the root system of your tomato plant. Unpot the plant, pop it into the hole and water it well to help settle the soil. If you do this late in the afternoon, the plant will have all evening to settle into its new home. As far as your feeding and watering go, it sounds like you're doing everything just right. You may need to water more frequently as your plants grow and as they begin developing fruit. You can judge whether or not they need water by sinking your finger down into the potting soil. If it feels dry at the second joint, it's time to water.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!