The Q&A Archives: Brown patches in sod

Question: We had alot of top soil put in our back to make it level and then sod was laid down. This was about 2 months ago. We watered it almost every day for the 1st month and less now. There is brown patches, where it appears the sod is dying. Do you know what this might be and what I should do to bring my grass back? Other than those patches the grass is very green and looks healthy. We haven't done anything else to it.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I not able to diagnose the problem. The dying patches could be due to poor soil to sod contact or poor rooting, to uneven watering patterns, to uneven soil preparation, or to a pest or disease problem. I would suggest you work with the installer and/or your local county extension to try to determine the cause and based on knowing that, decide how to proceed.