The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes growing in containers

Question: This year I planted tomatoes in containers and put stakes in to support them. It looks like they are going to grow taller than the stakes and maybe when the fruit comes will be top heavy - what can I do to give them more support?

Answer: Indeterminate plants can grow as large as 8 feet, however in the limited root space of a container they generally do not get that large -- the growth slows a bit once they begin to bear a crop. There is no harm to letting them trail a bit as long as the stakes are strong. To limit the weight you may want to prune out suckers. Many container gardeners find a trellis system helpful, using fencing or other sturdy support to tie up the tomatoes (a vine covered with fruit becomes quite heavy.) This should be securely anchored however because a trellis covered with tomato vine can work like a sail and catch the wind. Good luck with your tomato crop!