The Q&A Archives: How do I keep grubs/worms from eating my tomatos?

Question: While harvesting my tomatoes (of all different varieties), I noticed holes about the size of a dime in some of the vine-ripened tomatos... Within these holes I found some kind of grub or worm, 1 in each hole, each of them a little less than an inch in length, and pink in color (maybe from eating my tomatos?!). I don't think that it's a soil problem, because many of the worms were found on the top half of the plant. How do I get rid of these? Please help!!

Answer: Sounds to me like fruit worms. These vari-colored green, brown or pink worms eat holes in green or ripe tomato fruit. Damage is worse when tomatoes are planted near sweet corn. (The corn earworm is the same insect.) This insect can be controlled with an insecticide such as Sevin. To control tomato fruit worm, apply insecticides regularly every seven days beginning at fruit set. Cover the entire plant with a dust or spray. The tomato fruit worm control program also controls flea beetles, blister beetles and horn worms.

Best wishes with your tomatoes.