The Q&A Archives: Shrub

Question: I am looking to plant something in a mostly shaded area. There is some sun but not a lot. I'm looking for something with a golden color. And I want something that will grow at least 3 feet tall. THANK YOU!

Answer: Most of the golden foliage shrubs need full sun or at leat a half a day's direct sun (including noontime) to maintain a good gold color and to stay healthy as well. However, you could try one of the golden Euonymus fortunei cultivars. This will give a gold effect, especially in a shady area. It will mound on itself if grown in the open and can reach about two feet tall, or it will climb if given a support such as a house wall in a foundation planting situation. Another option might be to grow one of the larger cultivars of hosta with gold foliage. This would give you a gold accent in the shade, although it is a perennial and dies back to the ground each winter. "Sum and Substance" for instance grows foliage about two feet tall and flower stems about three feet tall and can spread six feet or more across in time.