The Q&A Archives: hydrangea

Question: My hydranga is 5 years old and is in the ground with morning shade and evening sun in Southern Illinois; it gets leaves every spring and has NEVER bloomed...what am I doing wrong? diana

Answer: The problem is most likely with the kind of hydrangea you are growing. Except for a few (Annabelle and Endless Summer), hydrangeas for the most part develop flowering shoots on last year's wood. If your hydrangea is freezing down to ground level, or if you are pruning it down to ground level each year, there will be no old wood on which new flowering shoots can develop. If this is the case, your beautiful shrub will never produce flowers. Annabelle and Endless Summer hydrangeas bloom on both old and new wood so even if the plants freeze down to ground level each year, you'll still have flowers.

Best wishes with your landscape!