The Q&A Archives: mandevilla

Question: I have a Red Riding Hood Mandevilla that is doing really well in a container on my deck. Is there any way to save it over the winter? Our winters are generally mild, lowest temp all last year ~12 degrees F. Thanks!

Answer: Mandevilla is a temperature sensitive plant so remaining outdoors isn't a good idea. You should be able to keep your Red Riding Hood Mandevilla happy by moving it indoors when nighttime temperatures hover around 45 degrees. After taking it indoors, cut tt back by about one third, keep it in a bright location and reduce watering. You want to maintain the plants, not encourage a lot of new growth, so don't fertilize until spring. When the weather warms, take it back outdoors, fertilize and water regularly and it should resume growth. Best wishes with your mandevilla!