The Q&A Archives: Composting

Question: I want to start composting to help improve my soil for a vegetable garden. I don't have any form of "green matter" like grass clippings, just dead leaves from a nearby wooded area. Is there anything I can do to make up for this in my compostpile? <br>

Answer: In order to produce compost, you need both brown and green materials. Green contains nitrogen which raises the temperature of the compost and starts it cooking. You can still produce some nice mulch material from the leaves you collect by piling them up and turning them periodically until they break down. If you're real adventurous, you can add kitchen wastes like vegetable peelings and coffee grounds to the leaves as you turn them. All organic matter is valuable, and the finished leaf-mold your pileproduces will make a great soil amendment.