The Q&A Archives: Urban Gardening

Question: I recently moved to very run down neighborhood in Baltimore. I want to put in a flower garden in an adjoining backyard of an abandoned house. The main purpose of this adventure is to try to keep the weeds down. Are there any good flowering plants which keep the weeds down better than others? Also I know the soil is all clay and rocks. What can or should I add to the soil to make it more flower-friendly? Does any particular flower or fruit tree attract rats? Thank you. Charles Huber Baltimore, MD

Answer: I've seen the neighborhoods of Baltimore that you are describing....a yard of flowers would be a noble endeavor! You DO need to remove as many of the rocks as you can. Then work in as much compost (you can buy it bagged) as you can. You can plant any flower you want. The key is MULCH! If you cover the ground between the flowers with mulch, you will discourage weeds from growing. Mulch is any thing that blocks sunlight. It can be hay, straw, black plastic, newspaper, etc. If you use hay or straw, lay down at least 6 inches. The ground has to be completely covered. If you use plastic, poke holes for your plants and weight it down with those rocks you removed. Newspapers need to be weighted down because they blow away. Also, no flowers or fruits inthemselves will attract rats. Just keep the place clean and they shouldn't be a problem..