The Q&A Archives: Compact Evergreen Hedge

Question: My wife and I recently purchased a new home. The hedge which forms the street border at the front of the property on a quiet street is dying and missing or removed in places.I would like to plant a new evergreen hedge to grow about 3'-4' high. I would like one which grows full, dense, slow growing and low maintenance. It's a lot to ask but do you have any suggestions?

Answer: I sure do! I suggest a dwarf variety of Chinese Juniper (Juniperus chinensis). Your local landscape nursery is a good place to browse for other possibilities. If they have a good selection, you'll see them in shades of deep green, golden and smokey blue. I've tried to find mail order sources for some of the more compact varieties, but most of them offer "specimens" of shrubs with unusual growth habits. Hope this gets you started!