The Q&A Archives: Why did my plant come up in a different location than last year?

Question: I have passion flower vine that bloomed beautifully last year. I cut it all the way back at the end of fall. This year it came up in a different location, about two feet, from where it came up last year. It seems to be growing well, but it has not bloomed yet. Is there a reason for this?

Answer: Passionflower typically dies down to ground level in your gardening region so pruning it back had no effect on its failure to bloom. Your plant came up in a different area because the original stems died back and the roots (which are probably several feet in all directions away from the crown of the plant) sent up a new colony of stems. Give them a chance to mature and they may very well flower for you later this summer.