The Q&A Archives: Callas and garden bed

Question: I actually have 2 questions:
1) Now that my callas have bloomed, the bud has gotten very hard and drooped over. This is the first year they actually bloomed, so I don't know what to do now. Can I cut off the bloom? Will it make another plant next year if I put it in the ground? I know enough not to cut down the green until it wilts because thats how the bulb gets it nutrition for next year...
2) I am planning a garden area in the backyard with hopefully, mostly native plants that need little care. I am shaving off the sod to use in other areas, but will never get it all. What do you recommend to pretreat it to help prevent weeds before I start planting?

Answer: Jennifer,

You can cut off the old bloom stalk if you like. You can sink the pot in the ground but you'll want to bring it in for winter as your winters are too cold for that plant. I would not recommend pretreating for weeds. If you have growing perennial weeds such as bermudagrass you should treat them now with a product that will move down into the weeds to kill the roots, such as glyphosate. Otherwise just make the planting bed and then mulch the are to prevent weed seeds from germinating.