The Q&A Archives: What to use instead of pine straw

Question: I recently moved to Georgia from the northeast and purchased my first home. I bought a home in a new development, where the landscapers put down pine straw. Recently, a friend told me that I should get rid of my pine straw because it attracts bugs. I've done a little searching online, and most sites recommended that I stay away from wood chips (back home we use cedar chips), as it might attract termites. What would you recommend I put down instead? Again, I want to put something down that will discourage insects from taking up residence.

Answer: Christina,

I wouldn't worry about the pine straw attracting bugs. Bugs will find there way around no matter what mulch you use. I think pine straw is a wonderful, natural mulch. If you have a particular type of insect that would be a pest of some sort, and most won't, you can treat with an insecticide. However I suspect that with a moderate amount of mulch (not too deep) things will be fine.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"