The Q&A Archives: How to propagate ivy

Question: I would like to plant ivy along chain link fance. There is a lot of ivy plants in my immediate area, but my lot a big lot. I have about 600 linear feet to plant. What would be the best way to do it. I like the kind of ivy that is green all year around. Please advise
Urszula Lewandowski

Answer: It would be prudent for me to remind you that ivy is considered extremely invasive and it is considered a noxious weed in many states. It is such a problem that the sale of ivy has been banned in many, many counties and states. Make sure that it is okay to plant ivy in your area before attempting to plant it in your landscape.

If ivy is not banned in your region, you can easily take cuttings from an established stand of ivy. Cut 8-12" inch long tips from healthy stems and bury each in the ground cut side down so at least one node (leaf scar) is about 2" deep. Although the leaves may wilt and the cuttings look terrible, if you keep the soil moist, new roots will emerge from the buried node and in a month or two you'll see new top growth. Rooting cuttings in this manner usually has an 80 percent success rate.