The Q&A Archives: Care of Patio Peach

Question: Someone gave me a patio peach tree (does not produce fruit).<br>Do you know the growing requirements? Do I need to trim it? It only grows to about 3-4 ft.

Answer: Is this a flowering ornamental peach? Probably the only pruning you'll ever need to do is removal of damaged or diseased branches, and any that rub together or are overly crowded. Ideally, it should have branches spaced evenly to allow good air circulation, and for a pleasing appearance. Peaches generally need full sun in order to bloom, but yours will probably do fine in sun to part shade. Keep soil evenly moist by watering to supplement rainfall. This is very important for plants growing in containers, since they are restricted from searching for moisture. Mulch the soil in the pot to help it retain moisture. To keep your peach healthy and blooming, add an inch of mixed compost and 5-5-5 fertilizer (follow label recommendations) to the pot each spring as growth picks up, and spray the foliage 2-3 times during the summer with a liquid seaweed/kelp fertilizer. This will provide essential micronutrients (kind of like a vitamin supplement). Enjoy!