The Q&A Archives: Angel Trumpet

Question: Ihave a Angel Trumpet, that has turned yellow,and dropped all of it,s leaves,at bottom of the tree. tree is about four and a half feet tall, and has lost all leaves ecept the top 12 inches.It has been this way almost two months now.Should i cut it down to about 1foot and start over now,or wait until next season. This is my first experience wirh an angel trumpet. I planted it in march. It bloomed beautiful once,then turned yellow and lost it,s leaves .I have two oak trees, could i be having root problem from the oaks ?Thanks

Answer: Freddie,

Don't cut it back. That is usually a sign of temporary drought stress. Try to keep the soil moist. It would do best in morning sun and afternoon shade. Provide some nutrients by fertilizing with a liquid plant food such as Miracle Gro once or twice a week for a few weeks. You Brugmansia will get greener and resume vigorous growth. You should have lots more blooms in late summer and early fall.