The Q&A Archives: Assorted Hibiscus having problems

Question: I have a brand new, very large Assorted Hibiscus that I purchased at Home Depot about 10 days ago. I have the plant in bright light area at room tempature (no direct sunlight). The plant is very green and looks great, however, as the flowers begin to bloom they are falling off the plant and never reach 1/4 of peak potential. I'm using MG potting soil and the plant is evenly moist. Do these plants have to be watered a lot?Any ideas?

Answer: These plants need full direct sun to grow and flower well. Without direct sun it will stop forming buds and stop blooming. It would be better to move it to the brightest, sunniest window possible or better yet, to set it outside for the summer. The soil surface should dry out between thorough waterings, do not keep the soil saturated or sopping wet but do not let it get dried out, either. If there is a drainage saucer, empty it after watering, do not leave the plant sitting in water. The buds should open fully, but if the plant is in a spot with poor air circulation or in a draft, that might contribute to the flowers dropping early. Also, lack of light causes the plant to go through an adjustment period and it can drop its blooms as a result of the stress. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.