The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea

Question: I have 2 hydrangeas planted in my garden, side by side. I planted them both last year and they both did well over the winter and came back beautifully this spring. One of them has been blooming constantly, but the ohter one, while it started to bloom, never bloomed completely. The edges of all of the blooms sprouted, but the entire flower never fully bloomed. Just wondering what caused this. Many thanks

Cathleen Banks Mello

Answer: It sounds quite odd, doesn't it? I think I'd be curious enough to dig the plant up this fall and check out the root system. Even when plants are adjacent to one another in the same flower bed, some things can be different including drainage, soil type or soil pH. Dig the plant up, amend the soil with some organic matter to facilitate good drainage, prune off any damaged or diseased roots (anything mushy) and then replant your hydrangea. Let's hope it blooms for you next year!