The Q&A Archives: Citrus Trees

Question: I live in the Metro Phoenix area, where temps reach 110+ at times in July and AUgust. Can I plant citrus trees during this time of the year, or do I have to wait until the weather cools some. I want to plant lemon, tangelo and lime trees.

thank you

Answer: Landscapers all over the valley install citrus and palm trees year around. I don't know why you couldn't plant your citrus now, and as long as you water regularly, the trees should be fine. I've discovered it takes a full year for citrus trees to become established and begin to grow so don't expect lots of new growth for several months after planting. If the trees have experienced full sunshine in the nursery, they shouldn't suffer any setback. If they've been shaded from hot afternoon sunshine, you may want to either provide temporary screening after planting so the leaves are not scalded by the hot sun for the next 2-3 months.

Best wishes with your trees!