The Q&A Archives: The Pink Camellia

Question: I have a Pink Camellia tree, and it is in a pot. At this time it has lost all of it leaves and looks dry, but when I bend the stalk it is green inside, I don't know what is wrong with it, when the new leaves were coming back on it they came on green then started at the tip and died, can you help me? I feed it and water it, it does not get a lot of sun but I have seen them grow without a lot of sun so I don't know what is wrong.
vernodean lee

Answer: I can't tell without looking at the plant, but it sounds like water stress. Have you tried immersing the pot in a large container of water to drive out air pockets around the roots? Sometimes plants in containers develop pockets of dry soil and even though you think you're watering thoroughly, water can rush right by the dry soil and out the drainage holes without completely wetting the soil. Try immersing the pot for about 10 minutes and then allowing it to drain. Weekly waterings should keep the roots healthy. If, after this, new growth is still drying up, repot the camellia in fresh potting soil. It may have outgrown its container and the roots are struggling. Aside from these suggestions, I don't know what else to tell you....

Hope your plant perks up soon!