The Q&A Archives: Insect control & pruning

Question: I have three rose bushes that I'm trying to keep the insects from eating up. There are little green caterpillars and also tiny little green and black little bugs. The product I'm using either isn't working or I'm not using it enough. Is there a product you suggest? Also, one of my plant is almost entirely eaten up. Should I prune the eaten up leaves? It will leave very little bush.

Answer: I'd leave the foliage alone for the time being. Although most of the leaf surface may be gone, there's still some photosynthesis taking place. When your shrub has finished using the leaves, it will drop them and new growth will begin. Roses can be host to so many pests that some gardeners use a systemic such as Bayer Advanced Garden 2 in 1 systemic for roses. It should work in your garden, as well. Be sure to follow label directions.

Best wishes with your roses!