The Q&A Archives: Moving Amaryllis bulbs

Question: I have quite a few Amaryllis plants that are no longer flowering but would like to move them to another bed. Should I cut back the leaves and then dig up bulbs (and should I separate bulbs) and re-plant and when would the best time be? I will be moving them to a bed that faces west so they will be in a shaded location with afternoon sun. Is that okay for them? Thank you, Maria

Answer: Maria,

Late summer through fall is a good time to make the move with those bulbs. Separating them is up to you. It allows you to cover more area with the bulbs but is not necessary. Those bulbs would prefer morning sun but if they get more than just a little sun they should be okay and bloom well. If they are in too much shade they will not bloom well.