The Q&A Archives: Get rid of stickers.

Question: Majoritiy of my front yard is covered in stickers. My kids are unable to go out there and if they do the stickers are tracked throughout the house. How do you get rid of them? Is my only option to tear up the front yard?

Answer: Theresa,

Sandburs are grassburs are especially troublesome in areas of the lawn that have poor soil or tend to be droughty at times. Sandy soils fit this situation especially well.

Fertilizing and watering give your turfgrass the upper hand. Along with frequent mowing, these cultural practices can help you win the grassbur war over a year or two.

There are herbicides that can prevent their seeds from germinating. These must be applied early in the spring and reapplied a couple of months later in order to catch them before they sprout and begin to grow. Once the sandburs are up and growing these products will not be effective. Your County Extension Office can assist by recommending an appropriate, labeled spray product if you choose to spray in future seasons. It is too late to spray this year.