The Q&A Archives: Morning-glory

Question: This past year, I planted both morning-glory and moonflower along a fence. The morning-glory grew vigorously, but I had almost no blooms, and the very few I had didn't come till mid-September. Meanwhile, the moonflowers did fine. (both had been planted as transplants). The only fertilization I used was Osmocote (12-12-12 or similar) at planting time, and I did mulch... Any ideas why I got basically no morning glory blooms? Beth Hough Carmel, IN

Answer: If your morninglories are not in full sun, then that will delay flowering -- especially if you have a cool, cloudy summer. Also, if you over-fertilized the morning glories with nitrogen, the plants spend all their time producing foliage. Try not using the 12-12-12 fertilizer this year and be sure the plants get enough sun. You can even stress them a bit by midsummer by withholding water to induce flowering..