The Q&A Archives: Colored or Flowering trees for the south

Question: I live in southern Georgia, and would like to have a tree that either flowers bright blooms or has bright colored leaves. I have morning sun and evening shade.

Answer: How about one that has both? Flowering plums (Prunus cerasifera - Newport or Pissard Plums) bloom in early spring with white petals and maroon centers, have deep maroon leaves and bark. Goldenrain tree (Koelreuteria paniculata) has beautiful yellow flowers in spring, followed by vivid yellow, papery fruit. The leaves are pale green and airy. Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) is another to consider, since it blooms most of the summer, and is available in a wide array of bloom color. All three mentioned grow to around 20' tall. Hope this helps!